Thursday 9 August 2012

Palada Pradaman

This post is part of Onam and Sadya. The recipe below will make enough to serve 6 - 8 people for a Sadya. Measurements are only approximate.



Palada Pradaman was indeed a great challenge for me this year. This is only the third time that I ever made it and it is the first time I succeeded in getting a light rose colour to the pradaman; thanks to LG and RI for their
tips. The photographs unfortunately are not true to my efforts and success. However, there was one problem - GC, my husband, pointed out that the Ada could have been cooked a little more for the pradaman to flow down instead of having to chew it before swallowing.

The recipe is an exact copy of Palada Pradaman provided at the back of Double Horse Rice Palada pack, but for a smaller portion.

Ingredients
  • 50g rice ada
  • 750 ml milk
  • 200g sugar 
  • 250 ml or more water, as required
  • 1 tsp cardamon powder
  • 1/2 tbsp clarified butter/ ghee
Method
1. Wash ada and soak it in boiling hot water for 20 minutes. Drain water and keep aside. In a deep cooking pan add soaked ada, 250 ml milk and 250 ml water and cook till ada becomes soft. Add more water if required. When ada is soft, add remaining 500 ml milk and 200g sugar. Stir well and cook over low flame until milk reduces to half. When pradaman thickens, it develops a light rose colour. Remove from flame, add cardamon powder and clarified butter.

Serve hot with Boli.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I am a big fan of Paalada/Paal paayasam..I tried different versions to get that sadya paayasam taste and now happy with pressure cooker method..not much effort required for this (except a dedicated or clean cooker) and u get that pink color and sadya taste...try it out..After reading yours, just thought of sharing it with you....
    Pictures kandittu kothiyaakunu..:-)
    Keep going...Add more recipes..

    Abi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Abi. My friends here have also asked me to try the pressure cooker method and said that it easier to get the pink colour that way. Next time I will try it. The prob is I have only 1 pressure cooker which I use for curries. Apool time for the next pressure cooker ;)

      Delete